I’ve been tagged for a meme by Katie at No Assembly Required. I have to say this is my first tag! My meme cherry has been popped. *blush*
So here goes:
8 things I am passionate about:
1. My family (this probably goes without saying, but I may need the padding). My daughters are amazing, and my husband is pretty incredible too. They make me feel humble, actually. And lucky.
2. Pittsburgh Steelers football
3. Vegetarian and organic eating. When thinking about this list, I was seriously worried about what I was going to put on it (still am for that matter, I’m doing this on the fly). But then this topic occurred to me. I almost dismissed it, but then I thought, “I would no more eat meat — or feed my daughters meat — than burn my own house down.” So, yeah, it fits the bill. I wish we ate more organic, but… I’m doing the best I can with what I got. (You’ll see that sentiment again momentarily.)
4. My faith relationship with God. Uh, this should probably be number one. A “not necessarily in this order” disclaimer should be applied to this list.
5. Environmentalism/sustainability. I have a lot further to go on this one, but I am hoping every little baby step counts.
6. Reading. I love to read anything and everything I can get my hands on. My husband truly thinks this comes under “addiction”, not “passion”.
7. Writing. I cannot wait to take more time to do this more often.
8. Running/exercise. You wouldn’t actually know this if you met me now — not because of the way I look (I’m skinny) — but I am out of shape. I love to run and exercise, and it is the next thing on the list of things I have to, have to get back into my life.
8 things I want to do before I die
1. See my children grow up to be lovely, happy, responsible adults. Winning a Nobel or Pulitzer prize is optional.
2. Write a book, either a novel or memoir. I truly believe I have books in me. I just have to be disciplined enough to get them out.
3. Travel to Ireland.
4. Earn my MFA in writing (probably poetry).
5. Spend a couple of weeks alone with my husband on the West Coast doing bed & breakfasts and winery tours.
6. Buy a hybrid car.
7. Plant a garden that uses compost in my backyard.
8. Have another baby boy. Well, if I do get pregnant again (after Bun turns 2 please dear God), I will take a girl, too. But if I could choose, I would love to have a healthy boy this time around.
8 things I say often
1. I’m doing the best I can with what I got.
2. Listen to me.
3. No; also: Not right now.
4. I love you and/or I love you, too.
5. Do you have to go potty? Let’s go on the potty.
6. Get your hands (or feet) off your sister.
7. Please give that back.
8. I really need some time to myself. (this one to DearDR when he asks, “What’s wrong?” And, often, when he doesn’t ask.)
8 books I’ve read recently (I can’t swear these are the most recent. I read a lot.)
1. Blind Assassin, by Margaret Atwood
2. Pattern Recognition, by William Gibson
3. The Last Days of Dogtown, by Anita Diamant
4. The Laughing Man, by T. M. Wright
5. The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns, by Khaled Hosseini (I know, this is two books, but I’m counting by authors)
6. Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman
7. Everyone Worth Knowing, by Lauren Weisberger
8. Guilty Pleasures, by Laurell K. Hamilton (I gotta say, this book SUCKED. She may be a popular author, but, man, she writes like a brick. Everything else on this list I would recommend. 1, 5 & 6, highly, even.)
8 songs I could listen to over and over
1. Seven Nation Army, White Stripes
2. Either/Or, Wilco
3. California Stars, Wilco & Billy Bragg
4. In the Sun and Devil’s Broom, Joseph Arthur (so dark, so beautiful)
5. Half Acre, Hem
6. Just about anything from Fountains of Wayne
7. Turn on Me, the Shins
8. Just about anything from Death Cab for Cutie
8 things that attract me to my best friends
1. They are smart.
2. They are fun, but not reckless.
3. Even when I don’t see them for weeks/months/years, even, it’s like we’ve never been apart.
4. They are always there — good times, bad times, even (gulp) boring times.
5. Where applicable, their kids. Where not applicable, their pets! *smile*
6. They don’t make fun of me. Too much.
7. They take my side.
8. Despite my dunderheaded moments (which — hey, there aren’t that many! right? hmmm), they still call me back and invite me to go out with them.
Now, I am supposed to tag 8 people I think should do Crazy Eights. I would like to pick only NaBloPoMo people, but I think some of them (Soy is the New Black and Sarcastic Mom come immediately to mind) have already been tagged. So I will pick:
1. Misfit Hausfrau*
2. Her Bad Mother*
3. MaryP at It’s Not All Mary Poppins
4. Chag at Cynical Dad (I think he just did something like this, only in 4s, so if he doesn’t do it again, I won’t be put out)
5. Burgh Baby Mama
6. Andrea Frets at Fretting the Small Stuff
7. Frances C at Fleeting Moments
8. Any of my friends who read this site, but don’t comment. E-mail me!
* These two lovely ladies, one of whom I know “in real life”, are going through some difficult times. So if they don’t meme, we all understand why. Please keep them in your prayers/send good vibes their way.