I keep thinking I have to go update a post I wrote for my friend Kim who LOVES Halloween, but then I read through it and realize most of it is still true:
(My guest post for Listing Toward Forty from two years ago.)
Five Things I Hate:
1. Halloween versus Trick-or-Treat: Trick-or-treat is this Thursday even though Halloween is on Saturday.
2. “Sexy” costumes: check.
3. Dressing up (IMO) is for children. I’m not leaving the house on Saturday in order to avoid the bacchanalia at local watering holes.
4. Handmade costumes: I’m actually getting a wee bit better at this! First, I’ve set my expectations low (i.e. I can’t sew.) But last year I turned Kate into cotton candy and Flora into a zombie; the year before, I covered a cape with purple fabric for Kate’s Raven (from Teen Titans Go!) costume, and made a peacock shirt and tail for Flora. This year, I turned Kate into a puppy for the Boo Bash.
5. Treat bags: I’m not doing ’em this year. I’m donating to three different classroom parties (paper products for Kate; apples and caramel dip for Flora; and cubed cheese for M). No. More. Bags.
10 Things I Love:
1 and 10. Chocolate. Just give it to me.
2. Multiple wearing of the costumes. Although Kate wants to be a vampire queen instead of a puppy for school. I told her she had to source her costume from what we had at home, because mama did her part.
3. Sorting candy.
4. Handing out candy.
5. Carving pumpkins — We are still working on M’s. I will post images Thursday.
6. Trick-or-treat times.
7. Full-size candy bars — for the children!
8. How excited my children get to dress up and trick-or-treat.
9. Non-candy treats.
For some extra chills this year, you should be reading The October Diary. It’s almost as delicious as chocolate.
What is your favorite thing about Halloween?